The iPhone X is unlike any of its predecessors. It introduced new features like a stunning 5.8-inch OLED display, Face ID facial recognition, edge-to-edge display, an all-glass body and an A11 Bionic processor. Unfortunately, like any smartphone, it also debuted several new performance- and hardware-related issues specific to the redesign. We’ve scoured support forums and compiled 7 of the most common iPhone X problems, as well as a list of potential fixes and workarounds to help make your smartphone experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible. So, if you’re currently dealing with the problems that many iPhone X users have encountered, read on to find out how you can solve them and keep your device working perfectly.
Problem 1: iPhone charges slowly/won’t charge/wireless charging fails to work
Many iPhone X users on Apple Support forums have described how their smartphone refuses to charge, charges slowly, or how wireless charging doesn’t work properly.
- To ensure that your charger, charging cable or charging pad isn’t faulty, test it with another device, and try using a different charger for your iPhone X.
- If you’re using an iPhone X case to store credit/travel cards, coins or notes, remove those before charging your device, or take the case off entirely to make sure that it isn’t interfering with charging in any way.
- Reset your iPhone X by force restarting it or turning it off and on again. This can sometimes resolve charging issues temporarily.
- If you’re using a third party accessory to charge your device, make sure that it’s Apple certified.
- If the above steps don’t work, contact Apple Support. Your iPhone X may need a hardware fix or a new charging port.
Problem 2: iPhone touchscreen isn’t responding properly/ghost touches
There are several threads on the Apple Support forum discussing issues about a touchscreen glitch on the iPhone X, which results in the screen not responding to touch at all, responding intermittently, or reacting even though it wasn’t touched (i.e., ghost touch). Apple has issued a statement saying that “some iPhone X displays may experience touch issues due to a component that might fail on the display module.”
- Use a soft, lint-free cloth to keep your phone clean and dry, since debris and dust can interfere with how your iPhone X detects your touch.
- Screen protectors may sometimes disrupt a touchscreen, especially if it’s been cracked, scratched or damaged. Removing it can put an end to cases of ghost touch, so you should try to remove it carefully to see if that changes anything, or take your phone to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the screen protector.
- Ghost touch can be caused by a software bug, so check that you have the newest version of iOS installed by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Since Apple has acknowledged the problem, users experiencing touchscreen issues can visit an Apple Store or an Apple Authorised Service Provider to replace the display module on affected devices at no cost.
Problem 3: Face ID doesn’t work properly
iPhone X users on tech forums have complained about an increasingly unreliable Face ID which doesn’t work accurately all the time. Such complaints of failure usually crop up after an iOS upgrade.
- Don’t wear shades, and make sure to scan your face in a well-lit area.
- Bring your iPhone X closer, or at level to your face.
- If you’ve changed your outer appearance significantly or continue to encounter persistent Face ID recognition issues, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode, and select Reset Face ID. Follow the prompts to set it up again.
- Try going to Settings > Face ID & Passcode, and toggle Require Attention for Face ID off. Note that this makes it less secure.
- Ensure that you have the latest version of iOS installed by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If all else fails, take your iPhone X into an Apple Store for diagnostic tests on the rear camera, or request for a repair or replacement.
Problem 4: iPhone screen/app freezes
On several Apple forums, iPhone X users have described how their phone screen becomes unresponsive while using it, or how it refuses to turn back on or off. Additionally, iPhone apps reportedly freeze or quit unexpectedly. This issue has been known to occur several times a day.
- Attempt a force restart. You can do so by pressing and quickly releasing the Volume Up button, and repeating with the Volume Down button. Follow by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears on-screen. Note that this might only be a temporary fix.
- Try a factory reset for a more permanent fix, but be sure to back up your iPhone X first.
- When the above steps don’t work and you suspect physical damage from an accidental drop or bump, take your device into an Apple store or an Apple Authorised Provider to repair it.
Problem 5: iPhone doesn’t work in cold temperatures
Many iPhone X users on Reddit have noted how their device becomes unresponsive when they’re in cold temperatures. While this problem typically lasts for a few seconds for most users, a small handful have experienced longer unresponsive times. As expected, this issue mostly affects users living in cold climates. Apple has acknowledged these incidents of freeze-ups, and is working on a software update to hopefully fix the issue.
- As suggested by several iPhone X users experiencing this problem, locking and unlocking your phone will most likely help resolve the issue.
Problem 6: iPhone screen burn-in
Shortly after the release of the iPhone X, Apple issued a statement acknowledging how the OLED display used in the device can cause ‘image persistence’ or ‘burn-in’ to appear over time. Screen burn-in occurs when a static image is left on-screen for long periods of time, so much so that it burns into the display permanently. As a result, users may notice the faint outline of an image when using their device. This has been frequently reported by iPhone X users, and is seen as a common problem with OLED displays.
- Try reducing the brightness level on your iPhone X by pulling down the right side of your screen to open Control Center, adjusting the brightness manually.
- You can also enable Auto-Brightness by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations, and toggle Auto-Brightness on.
- Displaying static images for extended periods is more likely to cause burn-in, so make sure that your screen turns off when your phone is not in use by choosing an Auto-Lock time. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-lock, and select an Auto-Lock time of 30 seconds or 1 minute.
Problem 7: Sound issues when iPhone speaker is at high volume
iPhone X users discussing on tech forums have noticed a crackling or buzzing noise when their speakers are adjusted to a high volume. This issue seems to affect a small number of devices, and persists even after the unit is replaced.
- Try not to use your iPhone X speakers at maximum volume.
- Use headphones or earphones, such as Apple EarPods or AirPods.
- Since Apple has supposedly made changes to cater for this sound issue that was first reported by iPhone 8 users, stay on the lookout for iOS updates by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Get in touch with Apple Support or visit an Apple Store since the sound issue might be hardware-related
There you have it: we’ve outlined 7 of the most common iPhone X problems reported by users, and have suggested potential fixes and workarounds for you. If the problems with your iPhone X continue to persist even after trying the solutions given in this article, bring it in to MKC Repairs. Our experienced technicians have dealt with many of these common issues over the years, and will help you get your phone working (and looking) as good as new in no time. Call us now at 1300 803 183 to speak with a member of our friendly customer service team!